I, Mark Reckless, the Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Rochester and Strood, pledge in the General Election campaign:
- To show by my actions that politics need not be a dirty game, but can be a clean and positive activity, engaged in genuinely for the good of all.
- To tell the truth about what I stand for and have achieved, and about what others stand for and have achieved.
- To refrain from personal attacks.
- To make only honest and reasonable promises.
- To fight a clean, positive and honest campaign around the issues that concern local people.
- To be honest about public spending, and not to scaremonger in ways that may frighten the most vulnerable members of our society.
- To take money only from organisations and individuals whose motives in giving money I do not have reason to suspect.
- To sign up to the transparency pledge on MPs’ expenses below.
I encourage voters:
- To expect from me decent and honest behaviour, as a candidate.
- To ask other Parties operating in this election to sign up to a similar honest campaign pledge.
- To help me enforce this Pledge, by reporting truthfully to me and to the media any apparent breaches.
Finally, if elected, I pledge:
- To publish online details of all of personal expenses incurred as a Member of Parliament.
- To publish online details of all office expenses incurred as a Member of Parliament.
- To publish online details of all donations in line with Electoral Commission rules.
- To appoint a local firm of auditors to approve expenses accounts at the end of every financial year.
- To open up the unedited expenses claims to local newspapers at the end of every financial year.
- Never to claim for food, furniture or household goods.
- To meet all tax liabilities – such as stamp duty – without claiming them from the taxpayer.
With thanks to Tracey Crouch