Mark Reckless MP has welcomed the announcement today of plans which will help safeguard the future of Rochester Airport.
Since it was first established in 1933, Rochester Airport has become an important and well-loved facility to many people living in Medway. Unfortunately many of the buildings are now reaching the end of their useful life and, in order to secure the airport’s future and enhance the heritage and community facilities, the council has announced plans to tender for an airport operator to work in partnership with the council to create an airport which the public can be rightly proud of.
Speaking earlier today, Mark Reckless MP said:
“I am delighted that plans are now being put in place which should help secure Rochester Airport’s future for many generations to come. Over many years I have fought alongside local residents and councillors to retain this cherished asset. The proposed scheme will go a long way to safeguarding the airport’s future as well as providing a real boost for the local economy through the job opportunities which it will provide.”
What’s being proposed?
- Major improvements to exisiting airport facilities on their current location on the airfield
- Better public access to the site for heritage, leisure and tourism
- A new permanent home for the nationally recognised Medway Aircraft Preservation Society (MAPS)
- Creation of new parallel paved and grass runway to replace the existing 02-20 grass runway, as well as improvements to navigation aids and outdated facilities
- Closure of the old 16/34 grass runway
- Development of around 12 hectares of the old 16/34 runway area for hi-tech business, science or technology development next to the existing Rochester Airport Industrial Estate
- Safeguards Rochester Airport as a “smaller but better” sustainable airport with improved facilities for Medway residents and visitors
- New land released for job creation – with the potential to eventually create more than 1,000 new skilled jobs
- A new aviation heritage attraction to encourage more visitors to Medway
- Preserves the existing green view of the airport from Maidstone Road as well as reducing aircraft noise around the airport through use of a paved runway
- Opportunity to attract private sector investment into Rochester Airport by offering a 25 year lease to an operator alongside a council contribution to the overall development
“As ward councillors Rochester Airport is one of our biggest priorities; consequently we welcome this proposal, which will safeguard this invaluable ward asset for future generations and provide much needed job opportunities for the local economy.”
To find out more about the proposals for Rochester Airport’s future, visit Medway Council’s page – Click Here